AJT's Summer Show - Into the Woods Jr.
A new take on Stephen Sondheim’s and James Lapine’s groundbreaking musical fairytale about wishes and the choices we make.
Be careful what you wish for, as Stephen Sondheim’s and James Lapine’s cockeyed fairytale comes to life in this adaptation of their groundbreaking, Tony Award-winning musical. Into the Woods JR. features all of your favorite characters — Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack (and his beanstalk) and the Witch — in this lyrically rich retelling of classic Brothers Grimm fables.
The musical centers on a baker and his wife, who wish to have a child; Cinderella, who wishes to attend the King’s festival; and Jack, who wishes his cow would give milk. When the baker and his wife learn that they cannot have a child because of a witch’s curse, the two set off on a journey to break the curse, and wind up changed forever.
With unforgettable roles, yet no chorus, Into the Woods JR. showcases a medium-sized ensemble of talented singers and actors. The sophisticated score has been adapted to make it more accessible to young performers.
Info you need to know
Performances: August 22-25, 2024.
Performance Location: Tina McGuire Theatre (black box) at Wortham Center for the Arts, 18 Biltmore Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
Rehearsal Schedule: M-W-F from 3:00pm-6:00pm AND Saturdays from 12-6pm beginning July 8, 2024. Since this is our first time doing a show in this format, we ask that you leave your schedule open during the last two weeks before the show in case we need to add any additional rehearsals.
Rehearsal Location: TBD.
Auditions: Not all children will be offered a place in the cast. Auditions will be held May 25, 2024 so that you can make summer plans if your child is not cast in the show. Information about auditions will be emailed.
Fees: Full payment is due on June 1. No refunds are given for any reason.
New This Show
This exciting new experience will help kids learn what goes on behind the stage when creating a show. All cast members will be responsible for making sets and costumes, which we plan to do during regular rehearsal time. However, it may require volunteering outside of our normal meetings. Cast members will also serve as backstage crew for the show and learn how to move set pieces on and off the stage. AJT’s Summer show promises not only to challenge our actors because of the complex nature of the material, but will also give dedicated junior actors the opportunity to learn many facets of musical theater.
- Children ages 11 and up are encouraged to audition for the show. Not every child will be given a spot in our cast. This show is strictly for serious theater kids interested in expanding their skills and putting in the work to make something incredible.
- The JR version of this show is not as dark as the movie or full-length musical and ends after the original first act.
- There is a mandatory parent meeting from 4-5pm July 8. All paperwork will be collected following the meeting.
- ONE scheduled absence is allowed and strictly adhered to; tech and dress rehearsals are MANDATORY during show week (August 20 and 21).
- We require a minimum of 5 hours of volunteer time per family for your child to be in the show. Don’t have the time? Opt out for $150 so that we can hire help. If you have not volunteered by show week, we will charge you the opt-out fee automatically. (It’s possible that parent participation might not be necessary, but we want to prepare you to volunteer in case we need help).
- Each family is encouraged to sell one advertisement for our Playbill and help to spread the word about ticket sales.
- Each family is asked to volunteer during show week for load-in, as a dressing room attendant, in hair/make up, or as an usher, etc. All families are asked to stay after the final show for load-out.
- We are not just another junior theater company, but we strive to be the best! Being a part of Asheville Junior Theater is a commitment. We require all kids to practice dances, songs and lines at home.
- We reserve the right to change the show date/theater if mask mandates come back to WNC or if rehearsals are stopped due to illness.
- Check out our FAQs.
$25 Application Fee per Family
Main Company $450
- three months of rehearsal time with two rehearsals per week and day-long rehearsals closer to performance time
- performance video, professional photos of dress rehearsal, a script to keep, access to performance tracks and more.
This price works out to less than $3 per hour!!! *Costumes will be provided for use in this musical but are the property of AJT.
Mini Company $195
- one hour practice per week before the Main Company’s rehearsal
This group will focus on introducing kids to movement, choreography and singing with theater games and repetition. The Mini Company helps kids develop confidence and provides the foundation necessary to step on the big stage once they get older.
Help Give the Gift of Theater
We’re honored to have donors who support our mission! Because of the generous support of people in our community, we’re able to offer financial aid to families in critical need.
There are two ways to give: a one-time donation or a monthly recurring gift.