AJT'S FALL SHOW
Wizard of Oz: Young Performers’ Edition
L. Frank Baum’s beloved story of a young girl’s adventure in a magical land has been entertaining audiences for over a century. MGM’s blockbuster 1939 film adaptation, featuring the timeless songs of Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg, along with the brilliant instrumental music of Herbert Stothart, elevated the popular novel to even greater heights. This stage adaptation, featuring the characters and celebrated songs from the film, brings the wondrous Land of Oz to life in a jubilant theatrical experience.
Join Dorothy and her loyal companion Toto as they “Follow the Yellow Brick Road” through the Land of Oz, determined to reach the Emerald City, where the great and powerful Wizard of Oz will help them get home. Of course, along the way, Dorothy encounters witches (both good and bad), Munchkins, talking trees and winged monkeys. But most importantly, she befriends three unique characters: a Scarecrow with no brain, a Tin Man with no heart, and a Lion with no “nerve.” Their journey to happiness – and self-awareness – is a glowing testament to friendship, understanding and hope in a world filled with both beauty and ugliness.
The Wizard of Oz: Young Performers’ Edition is a one-hour adaptation of The Wizard of Oz.
INFO YOU KNOW NEED TO KNOW:
Rehearsals: Twice-weekly beginning Sunday, September 10, 2023.
- Ages 8-18 welcome to Apply for the show.
- There is a mandatory parent meeting from 1:00-2:00pm on September 10. All fees and paperwork will be collected following the meeting at 2:00pm.
- Two scheduled absences are allowed; tech and dress rehearsals are MANDATORY during show week. Rehearsals times for the two weeks prior to show are TBD and kids must be available to rehearse EVERY DAY, if necessary.
- We require a minimum of 10 hours volunteer time per family over the three months for your child to be in the show. Don’t have the time? Opt out for $300 so that we can hire help. If you have not volunteered for at least ten hours by show week, we will charge you the opt-out fee automatically.
- Each family is responsible for selling/buying a minimum of 6 show tickets.
- Each family is expected to volunteer during show week for load-in, dressing room attendant, hair/make up, stage crew, ushering, etc. All familes are asked to stay after the final show for load-out.
- We are not just another junior theater company, but we strive to be the best! Being a part of Asheville Junior Theater is a commitment. We require all kids to practice dances, songs and lines at home.
- We reserve the right to change the show date/theater if mask mandates come back to WNC or if rehearsals are stopped due to illness.
- Check out the “FAQ” page under the “About” Tab for answers to many more questions.
- MINI CO (ages 4-7): Classes are 12-1:00pm from Sept 10-Dec 17 with Miss Carla. See “Programs” page for info.
Pricing and Schedule
Price is $450. Plus a $25 membership fee per family per year.
Includes a show t-shirt, video and photos of dress rehearsal.
10% discount for second sibling.
A non-refundable $100 deposit will hold each child’s spot.
Help Give the Gift of Theater
We’re honored to have donors who support our mission! Because of the generous support of people in our community, we’re able to offer financial aid to families in critical need.
There are two ways to give: a one-time donation or a monthly recurring gift.